I’ll be the first to admit that social media wasn’t properly named, but there’s no denying the power of social media despite that! As a blogger, I’d be inclined to say the most social of the online platforms is blogging hands down. I’ll let my personal opinion and bias take a seat and share a couple of things I’ve noticed when I visit other blogs-
- Not everyone has a social media account for their blog
- Not everyone who has a social media for their blog has it connected
If you’re in the first group you might wonder, why would I want a social media account for my blog? I get it, besides my blog I had a personal Facebook page and a Pinterest account and that was enough for me. There are a few reasons why you should consider creating other social media accounts for your blog-
- The rest of the world is on it! This is free blog exposure you’re missing out on! It doesn’t take much to set up a Facebook, Instagram or Twitter account for your blog and share that page with your friends. By having your friends and family like and follow, your blog will start to get exposure on other platforms!
- The more places your blog can be found online, the more chances of increasing your audience! Not only that but the bigger your online presence the higher up you’ll be when people search things on the web because it gives your blog credibility. You’ll start to generate traffic by people searching keywords that direct them to your blog.
- Social media gives your readers a chance to know more about you outside of your posts! Upload a quick picture on Instagram to give them a peek into your day or share a quick update about something that you won’t write a whole post about. Those who follow you love the opportunity to get to know you better on a personal level and that makes for great readership!
Tip: If you don’t have social media accounts you want to link to your blog, be sure you don’t have a social media menu (icons) visible on your blog! It looks silly to have the Twitter bird on your blog that just directs me to the Twitter homepage because you don’t have an account.
Then there’s the second point, those who have social media accounts but haven’t connected them to their blog! You’re doing yourself an injustice! Here are some reasons you want to consider connecting the other social media accounts to your blog-
- You make it easier for your current audience to follow you on the platforms they hang out at most. A post might get missed in the WordPress Reader but they might catch it on their Facebook or Twitter feed.
- It’s free publicity! You’re able to sync your accounts to your blog so they post across social media simultaneously. That means
minimalno effort to increase the exposure of each post!
- Not only can you share your posts but your readers can too! It makes it easier for them to share your post with their friends by clicking an icon. Not all bloggers like to reblog. Whether they keep up a posting schedule or they just don’t feel comfortable sharing other content on their blog. Make it easier not only for them to share but to redirect others to your social media directly by having it linked to your blog!
- You get exposure to non-bloggers or bloggers that aren’t on the same platform as you.
So if you aren’t on other social media platforms and you want to increase your readership, you might want to start expanding your blog presence on the web! For some bloggers, time might be a deterrent. Whether it be the time to set up the accounts or the time to maintain them. If you put the initial investment in the time to set it up, the maintenance part is easy. You can either sync your social media to your blog and just let the posts be the updates or just pick one day a week to upload a picture, quote, or just update your status across all platforms. To make life easier, there are even ways to update across accounts simultaneously. Personally, I’m not using this option but I might consider it at some point. Here’s an article I found that might help if you’re interested in it.
For other bloggers, technology might be the culprit keeping you from expanding into cyber territory. When all else fails, Google! You can find a tutorial for just about anything! You can go to this page and click on the social media that you want to connect to your blog. You can add icons to your sidebar and even include live streams so that updates post to your blog in real time. Some tutorials have videos available, if you are a visual learner who prefers a video to step by step directions in a post, check out YouTube for tutorials. Creating an account with most sites is usually pretty simple, consisting of creating a username, password and entering your email address in most cases. If you need help, feel free to leave a comment, I’d be happy to help you or at least point you in the right direction!
Here are my social media accounts, I’d love to connect with you on other platforms if we aren’t already! Instagram is increasingly one of my favorite places to hang out although I admit Facebook is a close second!
Are there any points I missed as to why a blogger would want to connect their social media to their blog? Are you already on social media for your blog? What social media accounts do you have? What social media platform generates the most visits to your blog? If you aren’t on other social media platforms, has this made you consider it? For those who are, share your social media details in the comments so you can connect with other bloggers!