This week I’m asking you to stand with those brave individuals who have come together to protect their water source. By now I hope you’ve heard of the hundreds of Native American tribes that have come together from all over North and South America to stand with those at Standing Rock. A private company has violated a treaty that protects this land belonging to the Native American people. Not only are they disrespecting Native American burial grounds but the reason for doing so is to build a pipeline from North Dakota to Illinois to transport oil.
Not only is this a violation of the Native American people’s land but one that puts their clean water at risk of contamination and puts their health in danger. Earlier this year there was a spill in the Yellowstone River in Montana what’s to say the same won’t happen here? Not only does this cost to clean financially but the contamination is devastating to wildlife and the water itself. I’m asking you to do what you can to support this cause and protect the water source, preserve the sacred ground, and stand up for the people at Standing Rock by saying no to the Dakota Pipeline.
Ways you can help-
- Sign this online petition created by the chairman of the Standing Rock tribe
- Or this petition started by a 13-year-old Standing Rock Sioux Tribe member
- Send supplies to those protecting the water (it’s getting cold- think warm clothes, coats, gloves, socks, scarves, hats). Here’s a list of supplies they are in need of along with where they can be sent to.
- If you live close enough, you can show your support by standing with Standing Rock.
- You can raise awareness and support by sharing articles, videos, and posts on this issue.
While I don’t know her, I can’t help but love Shailene Woodley for the way she has been so active in the protest and standing with Standing Rock. She regularly shares live Facebook videos of her time there. She even got arrested while peacefully protesting. Thank you
To stay up to date, follow @ as you stay informed and support them. A big thank you in advance to all of you that will contribute in any way to this cause.
Have you supported this cause in some way? Will you do so now? If you know of other ways to contribute, please feel free to share in the comments.