Attention all 2016 Kindness Challenge participants!
What an amazing journey so far! Each week leads to the next with practice. We started this challenge by being mindful and kind to ourselves, then started observing kindness around us, and last week we concentrated our thoughts, words and actions on coming from a place of kindness. This week we are going to expand upon that by being kind to others.
Living a kind life means seeing an opportunity to extend kindness and just doing it.
A lot of us might think along the lines of random acts of kindness or paying it forward. These are excellent ways of incorporating or increasing kindness, just don’t limit yourself to thinking you’ve done your “good deed for the day”.
This week’s focus is to be kind.
Please bookmark this post so it’s easy to find as you’ll want to pingback (link) your reflection for week 4 here! The current challenge post will be featured on the homepage for easy access or you can click on the “Weekly Links” under the Kindness Challenge page to find your way back here.
Week 4 exercises- Pick at least one of the following to help you incorporate this week’s focus in your life:
- Make eye contact and greet people around you
- Hold the door for the person entering behind you
- Compliment 5 people
- Say “please” and “thank you” often
- Address a stranger by their name (server, barista, cashier, janitor, etc.)
- Take something special to your coworkers (bake a breakfast, offer snacks, etc.)
- Leave a bowl of water out for stray animals
- Make a few care bags for the homeless (mini toothpaste, toothbrush, hand wipes, lotion, tissues, chapstick, a bottle of water, soft snacks, etc.)
- Be a listening ear for someone, listening in earnest and not just to reply
- Mow a neighbor’s lawn
- Give someone a handwritten note letting them know you appreciate them
- Volunteer a couple of hours of your time to a cause you care about
- Find more ideas here, join me and sign up to be a RAKtivist!
- Come up with your own exercise
Tip: Kindness doesn’t need to be reserved for special occasions, tallied or capped. You can’t spread too much kindness! The more you practice, the more it becomes apart of your lifestyle and the less you need to think about being kind- you just are.
If you aren’t currently on week 4 of the challenge, click here to find the post for the week you’re on.
Week 4 blog prompt- After practicing the exercises for the week:
Post about your week of being kind. What kind things did you do for others this week? Did you focus on one way to be kind for the week or did you try various things? Did it come easier than you thought? Was it more difficult than you expected? Did it get easier as the week went on? How did it make you feel? How did others feel? What did you learn? Will you continue to incorporate this in your life on a regular basis?
Be sure to ping back to this post so that we can read each other’s experiences along the journey. To maximize the reach of this challenge, use this hashtag on social media #RevofKindness.
Don’t forget to check out fellow bloggers’s posts. Pingbacks are in the comments section. Show them some love on their posts, let’s interact and encourage one another!
If you aren’t on the WordPress platform, please leave a link to your reflection post in the comments so others can find their way there!
For details on how the challenge started see this post.
Sign up here. There is no deadline to start. If you miss the start date, feel free to start from week 1 and work your way through the challenge, we’ll be waiting for you at the finish line!